Bailey has teamed up with The Jason Foundation to serve as the first national teen advocate to raise awareness for suicide prevention on behalf of this important non-profit organization. This honor places Bailey alongside longtime musical ambassadors Charlie Daniels and Rascal Flatts.
Someone you know may need a friend – B1 . . . Take the B1 Pledge
- Be aware and understand the problem of youth suicide.
- Suicide is the 2nd leading cause of death for youth ages 10-24 (2015 CDC WISQARS)
BE ABLE TO IDENTIFY
Be able to identify warning signs in a friend who may be hurting. Look for these warning signs in your friends:
- Suicide threats
- Anger, increased irritability
- Lack of interest in activities they once enjoyed
- Sudden increase/decrease in appetite
- Sudden changes in appearance
- Dwindling academic performance
- Preoccupation with death and suicide
- Previous suicide attempts
BE PREPARED TO ACT
You should never be afraid to talk to someone who may be depressed or at-risk. At the very least, they will know there is someone who cares for them. You should also have an action plan in case a friend or family member shows signs of suicidal ideation. Taking the B1 pledge will help you “Be Prepared.”
WHERE DO I GO FOR HELP?
- Your favorite teacher/coach
- Guidance councelor
- Trusted adult
- Crisis line such as 1-800-SUICIDE (784-2433) or 1-800-273-TALK (273-8255)
- Local mental health center